Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 10: Supervised Classification

Week 10 objectives are to create spectral signatures and AOI features in ERDAS.  From there, create a newly classified image from a satellite image.  Once the image is recoded, identify and resolve confusion between the signatures.

Create the map below, I started with an image of Germantown, Maryland.  I opened the signature editor and added a new AOI layer.  I used the polygon tool to select features such as water and roads.  I used the inquire tool and coordinates to find urban areas, agriculture, and more.  If the feature seemed to contain a lot of differing pixels, I used the growing properties to select the feature I used the inquire tool for and adjusted the spectral Euclidean Distance. 

Once all my signatures were created, I looked at the different layers to see where confusion existed and to identify the best bands to display.  I used bands R-4, G-5, and B-6.  The final step was to recode all of the signatures.  I was able to calculate the areas of each class within ERDAS.  I was not 100% satisfied I was not able to eliminate all pixel confusion.  I attempted to adjust my signatures and change bands, but did not seem to find success.  I look forward to applying these techniques in through a potential job or practice to improve my skills.
Supervised Classification of Germantown, Maryland using bands R-4, G-5, and B-6

No comments:

Post a Comment