Monday, August 1, 2016

Programming: Module 11

This weeks lab covered how to share tools.  First I looked into the script that was provided for the lab.  I then looked at the properties of the script tool.  I adjusted the script itself to use sys.argv[] to use for the file path.  This allowed for me to use the parameter number in the properties setting.

Before sharing the tool, I updated the item description for the tool.  I filled in dialog for all the parameters.  I then right clicked on the script tool and imported the script.  I then right clicked and selected Password. This allows for the tool to be shared.

Parameters

Map Results

Dialog Box


This class definitely took me out of my comfort zone.  Python was very new to me and I was very eager to learn.  I am a very literal person and figuring out how to adjust SearchCursor and for loops was very challenging for me.  However, figuring out each assignment gave me more satisfaction when I was able to figure out the assignment.

Module 7 required the use of Search Cursor, Update Cursor, and Insert Cursor.  This lab seemed to be the most difficult.  Learning how to use each cursor and adjust it for the lab assignment was a difficult task.  However, after figuring it out, I was better able to see how powerful script writing can be.  It made me more determined to really work to understand what each code is doing.

Being able to use code to access attribute tables and create dictionaries is something I can apply to my job.  I work with a lot of data and being able to grab certain data quickly or update it using scripts would be great.


No comments:

Post a Comment