Thursday, January 22, 2015

Module 2: Graphic Design

Week 2 assignment objective was to take a map out of ArcMap and improve the graphics and add elements in CorelDraw.  By adjusting/adding certain elements I was able to show what I have learned about CorelDraw.  The final piece was to export the CorelDraw file as a .jpg. 

The map I created was for a children's encyclopedia on the state of Florida.  The base of the map (the shapefiles of the counties, cities, water, and capitol) were first created in ArcMap.  I exported the map to CorelDraw. I used the Edit- Find and Replace - Replace Objects tool to change the color of the cities to a purplish color.  I also added a star shap to represent the capitol of Florida by using the Polygon tool. 

Since there isn't a shape for the north arrow, I created one my using the line tool and added the arrow pieces to the line.  The line/arrow tool was also used when marking the cities and text box to label them. 
The next part was adding text boxes to put in the title and map information.  I also chose to add the state nickname, animal, and flag.  Too add some flare, I added a drop shadow to the two photos. 

I found CorelDraw to be rather difficult to work in and design the map.  I am hoping to learn to semi-master CorelDraw so I can use it to enhance my maps when appropriate.


Source: UWF, pixshark,com, netstate.com, & State
Symbols USA

No comments:

Post a Comment