Sunday, October 30, 2016

Special Topics: Lab 10

This week's lab was an introduction to statistics which involved correlations and bi-variate regression.  Part of the lab consisted of finding missing data for 20 years of rainfall for a rain station.  To find the missing data, I used the regression tool from the Data Analysis Toolpak.  Once I had the regression summary, I found the slope and intercept values.  I used the values in the formula y = m*x+b.  The x variable was the data I had for rain station B.

By using  y = m*x + b, it assumes that whenever x is 0 y equals the slope plus the intercept.  The intercept tells us how much change is in each variable while slope tell us how much the variable will go up or down.  It assumes if I have x, I can figure out y.  The regression analysis looks at where station A and B for the years there is data for both.  It finds the relationship between the stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment