Wednesday, February 4, 2015

GIS 4303 Week 4

Week 4 lab was about sharing maps on ArcGIS online and map packaging.  The first part of the lab was learning about map packaging and the different types of packaging.  I adjusted the data in ArcGIS and logged into ArcGIS online through ArcMap.  To have the map contents in my content, select Share As.  From this pop up box the item description, tags, credits, and summary.  I analyzed the share to make sure there were no errors and then selected Share. See Image 1 below.

The second part of the lab consisted of optimizing map package.  After adding the data, one layer would be a generalized layer while the other detailed.  In both layers I adjusted the symbology and set the scale from ArcGIS online to show the detailed trees if zoomed in at a large scale.  On the generalized layer, I adjusted the properties so the trees would be smaller when zoomed out, but invisible when zoomed at the large scale.  I then followed the steps from the previous section of selecting Share As and added the item description, tags, credits, and uploaded the text file for additional details.  See image 2 below.

Learning to share map packages seems for powerful and something to possibly use at my work.  It would allow for people to see the map created and work with it.  It also amazes me how much data you can share and use from others due to this tool. 




Image 1

Image 2

No comments:

Post a Comment