Saturday, April 11, 2015

GIS 4303: Week 13

Week 13's lab introduced georeferencing which allows users to take a non-spatial referenced raster and have it line up with features.  By doing this, it gives the raster a spatial reference.  Also learned to create a multi ring buffer and the editor toolbar.  Another piece of the lab was learning to use ArcScene.  In ArcScene, user is able to create a 3D map and learn how to adjust the layers.

The first map I created using the georeferencing tool.  To do this, I had to pick points on the raster image and match the location on the vector polygon.  One key thing was keeping a low RMS error and making sure the placement looked accurate.  Some polygons and lines were missing, so I used the editor toolbar to create new features.  To show the protection shown of the eagle's next, had to create a multi ring buffer.

The second map I created, used the building layer in ArcScene.  In ArcScene, I was able to show the buildings in 3D.  There are quite a few things to adjust in ArcScene, like base height and vertical exaggeration.  This map shows the UWF campus buildings, in 3D with the roads called out.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I really like your unique map layout. No overlapping, easy feature distinct, but easy to find how everything fits together in the bigger landscape. Creative! I couldn't really figure out a great layout for it, but now that I see everyone else's there are lots of good ideas. I think yours worked well. Cheers, Alicia

    ReplyDelete