Saturday, April 11, 2015

Module 12: Google Earth Mapping

Module 12 of Cartography class showed a way to apply layers and maps from ArcMap to Google Earth.  By converting layers and maps into KML files, they open n Google Earth and the fun can really begin.  I have only used Google Earth a few times and now knowing how to create a tour, I can really see how powerful this could be to present data.

The screenshot below shows what adding a KML map to Google Earth looks like.  The screenshot shows the southern part of Florida.  You can see more of the state, but more data with the added map.  You can see where how population density is and then zoom into Google Earth.  I converted a layer file of the counties and a created map to KML to added it to Google Earth.  From there you can explore Florida and the various cities of interest.  It is a great way to interact with your data and the map itself.  Not only can you explore your area of interest, but expand and compare which would be more difficult in ArcMap.  Also, creating a tour allows the creator to show the viewer key places or data.

Sadly, don't see how I can use this at my current job.  As I work to complete my course, can't wait to search for a job that will let me apply all that I am learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment