Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Lab 5: Applications in GIS

This week's lab covered spatial accessibility modeling.  To perform the analysis, the network analysis extension needed to be enabled.  A few of the tools within network analysis that were focused on this week was Closest Facility, New Service Area, and Spatial Joins.

To create the map below, I used the New Service Area option from the network analysis toolbar.  I found the service area for each of the 7 college campuses.  The tolerance was 5000 meters and it used breaks of 5, 10, and 15 minutes.  After clicking the Solve button, I was able to see the results of the service areas.

Next, I created a new shapefile that excluded Cypress Creek campus.  I reran the New Service Area for the 6 college campuses.  I used the same setting as I did for find the service areas for the 7 campuses.  I converted the block group shapefile to centroids by using the Feature to Point tool.  By doing this, I was able to see how the service areas overlay with the block groups.

The results show how the service area decreases if the Cypress Creek campus closes.
Campus Service Areas

No comments:

Post a Comment