Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Programming: Module 6

This week's lab focused on using ArcPy functions to perform geoprocessing.  Part of the lab covered writing script in ArcMap and then using PthyonWin.

The screenshot below shows the results of the script I created.  The goal of the script was to create a buffer around the hospitals and dissolve the buffer lines into larger polygon.  In order to do this, I need to import ArcPy and then the environments.  I set the environments and then I was able to start using the geoprocessing tools.

The first one was to add XY coordinates to the hospital shapefile.  I then printed the results of the tool to ensure that it worked.  Next I used the buffer tool to create a 1000 meter buffer around the hospitals.  I left all the optional parameters blank and had the results printed.  Finally, I used the dissolve tool to join polygons that overlapped.  Once the dissolve tool was done calculating, I printed the results of the tool.

Results of Geoprocessing Script


Below is a flowchart to show how the script runs.

Script Flowchart

No comments:

Post a Comment