Sunday, September 11, 2016

Special Topics: Lab 3

This week's lab focused on analyzing the completeness of road networks.  I compared how complete the street centerlines and TIGER roads are for Jackson County.  Below is how I performed this analysis.

I needed to calculate the distance of the roads for both shapefiles.  I did this by adding a field and used Calculate Geometry.  This calculated the distance of each road segment in kilometers.  Next, I needed to find the roads that fall within the Grid shapefile.  To do this, I used the intersect tool to create a new shapefile that had all the road segments that intersect with the grids.  I used the tool on both the street centerlines and TIGER roads.

Once I had the new shapefiles of roads only within the grids, I had to recalculate the distance of the roads.  I used the calculate geometry tool again.  I then exported each attribute table of the new distance.  I found the difference between the length of road and also found the percentage.  Below is a table.



The map below shows the absolute difference between the roads completeness.  
Road Completeness Analysis

No comments:

Post a Comment