Friday, March 20, 2015

Module 9: Flow Lines

Week 9 lab covered flow maps.  This lab covers creating a map with flow lines, calculating proportional line widths, and proper design for flow maps.

The map I prepared that shows migration between continents to the United States.  The wider the line, the higher the migration rate to the United States in 2007.  The map also shows which state had the highest percentage of immigrants.

To create this map, I used the migration statics to calculate line width.  I chose to have maximum line width at 3.5.  To calculate this I used the maximum line width multiplied by value divided by the maximum value.  I added the flow lines by using the Bezier tool and adjusted the width accordingly.  To add character to the flow lines, I used the bevel tool.  This added another dimension and allowed me to change the shading of the flow line.  I also adjusted the transparency to make it easier to see the small islands.

I think flow maps can very effectively display data.  I look forward to when I can apply this to a map at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment